Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Getting ready for Halloween


Halloween should be extra fun this year. My 3-year old son is getting to the age where he anticipates holidays and events more than before — plus we have his playhouse to decorate! 

So over the weekend we slowly began the process of digging out the Halloween decorations from the basement and decorating our house and yard. I'd say we're about half done at this point, and each year we try to add or switch things up a bit.  Sure it's kind of tacky, but Halloween shouldn't be taken seriously. It's for the young, and young-at-heart, to enjoy. Because we have a little one, I focus my Halloween decor on the silly and cute.

We use the traditional haybales, cornstalks, pumpkins, and gourds.  We encircle the door with leaf garlands and lights.  Then come October, we start adding in the Halloween things...witches, bats, ghosts, spider webs, etc...



Out comes the stuffed Frankenstein...


My homemade scarecrow...


The light-up pumpkin shadow boxes we made years ago...


Some hanging bats...


Signs...

Skeletons...


jack-o-lanterns...


Our infamous chanting ghost tree that we've been doing for years...

(it looks so cute, and just a little eerie at night when the flaming cauldron and the ghost lanterns are lit)



Every year, my son gets the biggest kick out of it!

...especially lit up at night.

Everyone in our neighborhood enjoys it.
We get hundreds of kids, many from other communities.

Does your neighborhood do it up big for Halloween? 


6 comments:

  1. Oh, Judy, cute, cute!!!! I love Halloween and saw this huge spider in Target that I want. Ron just started laughing when we saw it together.

    I am, after all, still a kid at heart. :-)

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, when I think of Halloween, I think of your ghost tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so creative.

    Florida has so many older people, it is funny some do it up HUGE while others do nothing. This community gets about 800 trick or treaters every year. All the older people sit at the end of their driveway and pass out candy. It is one continuous long line of kids all night long.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like so much fun!! I love the ghost tree, too. Someone does it around here and it is not nearly as cute as yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!