Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Manger



"And the angel said unto them, "Fear not!
For, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy,
Which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David
A Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes,
Lying in a manger."


~ Lk 2, 10-12
 
How many of you set out a manger during the Christmas season?  For those of you that do or would like to, there are some absolutely beautiful ones available out there, ranging from the cute to the very lavish.  Or maybe some of you have one that's been passed down in your family through the years. 

I have a small one that belonged to my parents that was set out each year. The one above is one that I purchased at Walmart about 8 years ago.  It wasn't exactly the kind that I wanted, but I liked it's attention to detail.  I added a light to the back of it so that it illuminates Jesus on Christmas Eve.  It's become a beautiful focal point to our holiday celebration. 



My son loves to marvel at each of the pieces and ask about them.  I love how very carefully he holds them in his tiny hands and looks in wonder at the manger scene.  It's incredibly sweet! 


9 comments:

  1. Thats such a pretty one. We pulled everything out of the box and couldnt find Jesus. Now I need to go buy a new one. Sorry I forgot to put your note in the package. I was in such a rush because of the move but I'm glad you like:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty nativity set! I have one that was handcrafted by an artist in my hometown that I love! Just finally got some new figures for it from Southern Living.
    Your blog is, in fact, truly full of the cutest little things! Loved visiting you here :)!
    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your nativity. I have a Lenox one and I collected one piece per year for the first 12 years of my marriage and now it's complete! When I was a child, we never put baby Jesus in his cradle until Christmas Eve, but my kids won't stand for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a nativity in every room! My favorite is the one my mother in law painted for me years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always had one in my family growing up.
    I'm on the lookout for one now. Yours is really beautiful.

    Have a great week. ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by my recent post. Welcome!!! I must go back and view the rest of your posts but wanted to tell you that I appreciated the sweet comment you left. It is greatly appreciated.
    I absolutely adore your Christmas dishes. You are so fortunate to have found the collection and to have so many pieces to decorate your table.
    Welcome to blogland. I have made so many great friends through our group. Please check out Dawn at the Feathered Nest. She is the one who got me started and always has such wonderful ideas...
    Blessings to you and yours this blessed Christmas season.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely creche...I don't have my old one any more,lost it and a lot of other Christmas things in a fire in our shop.
    I think I will get one in the after Christmas sales for next year...
    I always enjoy your blog.
    Merry Christmas,
    glenda@Serendipity Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours is lovely, Judy. Yes, we put out one every year.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judy,
    this is my first visit to your blog, and I enjoyed it so much. I came over from the Blessed nest. I too, love making things beautiful and so agree about those lil details.
    Love your nativity set, and yes, it is definitely the focus of Christmas at our house too. Great you are teaching your lil one the real reason for the Season.
    Will be back again, stop over soon, and if you go back a few post you will see a few of my nativity scenes as well and also Christmas decorations too!
    Blessings and Merry Christmas to you!
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!