Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Parades


Yes, Memorial Day has become the {unofficial} start to summer, but I wasn't about to let the holiday pass without paying tribute to the fallen men and women that have sacrificed their tomorrows so that we might have today.

I wanted my son to begin to understand the meaning of this important holiday, above and beyond the many BBQs we attended over the weekend, playing badminton, volleyball, and swimming. So we took him to his first parade ~ and caught a second on the way back home.

I wasn't sure if he would be patient and enjoy it, but little kids never cease to amaze me...they understand so much more than we give them credit.  He clapped and waved, and loved every minute of it.

It warmed my heart to see so many people come out and line the streets to applaud the veterans as they proudly marched by us. I adore these "small town America" traditions, and I so enjoy being able to share them with my child...

to pass along the values that we, in this country, hold so near and dear - and to begin to expose him to our nation's history.


I want him to appreciate the sacrifice and dedication of not only our heroic armed forces, but also of the men and women that protect us here at home...our police officers, firefighters, E.M.S and ambulance drivers.


And I also want him to take pride in his community. As citizens we have a responsibility to uphold the values of our Forefathers and to work together to make this great nation the wonderful place that it is.


We were fortunate to have beautiful weather through the weekend, right up until the afternoon on Memorial Day {just long enough to get our own BBQ out of the way} before the heavy storms came and brought downpours for the remainder of the evening.

I hope you and your family enjoyed the festivities over the holiday weekend!  
Now let the summer season {unofficially} begin!

9 comments:

  1. What an awesome parade!! What an awesome mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial Day!! Red, White and Blue forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy! Looks like you guys had a great weekend. Your little guy is so very blessed to have parents that are taking the time to teach him what is really important. We actually took part in our little local parade this year. Our church had a float. It was awesome to be a part of something so special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great parade! This is one thing I love about having boys, to them soldiers are heroes (as they should be to all of us). They are rock stars to my kids and they always get excited when they can get a man in uniform to wave or speak to them. Warms my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sweetie Pie, just getting ready to turn the computer off (we have storms coming...yikes) and saw your thoughtful comment. You are a dear, Judy. I am okay....just have some things to think over these days. I will try and do another seaside tablescape soon. I have been thinking about one.

    Your pictures are so sweet. I just love them. Have a wonderful weekend and know that it means a lot to me that you would think of me.

    Sending a hug,
    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to celebrate the holiday! I am sure you all had a wonderful time and the service men in the parade enjoyed the appreciation!

    I popped over to your site from Melissa's and have been peeking around a little;)! I love your blog and became your newest follower. I look forward to many more visits!

    Enjoy!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures you took made a lump in my throat. It is when I think of summer starting and Labor day is when I am sad that its at the end. It is s a great feeling that we get to be free in this country because of men and women that are so giving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That playhouse is incredible. What a lucky little boy. Thanks for sharing this! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted you to know I am thinking about you this lovely morning.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!